Support Bella’s Attic Studio by shopping from the retailers in this post. We earn commission on sales tracked from our links and codes at no extra cost to you. Thank you!
(Writing bag shown is the Emma39 by Jemma.)
A writer’s life is full of adventure, and you never know where you might spend your day. When money opportunity arises, it’s important that you have everything you need to seize the moment and to write while on the go!
Here is what I pack in my traveling writer's bag:
1. Laptop: My laptop is my money maker and of course the most important thing I pack in my writing bag. I pack a 13-inch MacBook Air which is lightweight and perfect for travel.
2. Planner: With so many projects and clients to juggle, I always pack my planner folio which has a monthly, weekly, and project section to help keep me well-organized during my day-to-day hustle.
3. Notebooks and writing pads: I pack two spiral notebooks, one for projects and one for reference notes. I also pack a yellow legal notepad that I strictly use for my business and meetings.
4. Highlighters and pens: I love to color-code my reference notes and agenda so I pack three different colored highlighters in yellow, pink, and blue and I also pack three pens in blue, black, and red ink. Red ink is used for things that need my immediate attention.
5. iPad: My iPad is my trusted companion and friend. I keep a ton of digital references and writing apps on it. The app I mainly use is Notability. It has a built-in microphone and recorder which allows me to record as I take digital notes while conducting interviews. Later when working on the client's project, I can simply tap a word on the screen within my notes for cross reference, clarification, or whatever.
6. Chargers and battery recharger: I once took a train to Washington D.C. and got lost. To make matters worse, I didn't pack my charger and my phone died. Yikes! I learned from that mistake. So, I always pack my phone and laptop chargers and I now keep a rechargeable battery pack with me.
7. Headphones: Confidentiality is extremely important when running a writing business. It's important that I protect my client's privacy when I have to listen to audio recordings of their interviews to transcribe notes, so I pack my headphones when on the go.
8. Snacks: Writers get hungry! Depending on my busy schedule, I may not have time to stop for lunch, so I keep plenty of healthy snacks such as crackers, nuts, and protein bars in my writing bag. It's also extremely important to stay well-hydrated so I keep bottled water in my bag as well.
9. Wallet and phone: This goes without saying, but for the purpose of this post, I also pack plenty of cash and of course my cell phone. I have had bad experiences with my bank card number being stolen so I do not feel safe using it in most places.
10. Cosmetic bag and toiletries: It's important I look professional at all times so I keep a small cosmetic bag for touch-ups in between my clients along with a few toiletries. I even keep a travel-size roll of toilet paper, because I have been in situations where there was no toilet paper in the public restroom. And, let me tell you, it's no fun being stranded on the toilet!
Okay, there you have it! How do you pack your writing bag? I want to know! Please Leave comments below!
Isabella Boston is a multi-talented writer and the founder of Bella’s Attic Studio. She is well-versed in content writing, copywriting, and social media strategies with a focus on health and wellness, fashion and beauty, and natural healing as it pertains to the body, mind, and the soul. She is also a diarist and the author of Passion of Flames.