They say, “actions speak louder than words.” I tend to agree. And I know from experience that when you walk into a room, you can command that room without having to say a word.
Seven Ways to Command a Room Without Saying a Word:
1. Dress to impress: Your clothes speak before you do so create a wardrobe that says, “I am successful, classy, confident, and worthy.”
2. Walk with a purpose: Your walk should scream confidence, so stand tall, maintain good posture, and strut like you own the world!
3. Maintain eye contact: You've heard it before, "the eyes are the windows to the soul". Look people straight in the eyes when talking and hold a self-assured, but non-threatening gaze. This shows that you are a strong and confident person who feels extremely self-assured.
4. Be quick to listen but slow to speak: Your words should carry “weight” and should only be spoken when they can add value to a conversation. People rarely listen to loud-mouth know-it-alls, but they will pay attention to quiet people who speak the least. Let your actions speak first for you, and when you do speak, choose your words wisely.
5. Carry yourself with class, dignity, and poise: The way you carry yourself and interact with others says a lot about you and how you feel about yourself. You attract what you put out; self-respect attracts respect. Always be polite and practice good manners with others, even to those who don’t always deserve it. Remember, their actions reflect them, and yours reflect YOU.
6. Control your body language: Shaking your foot, fidgeting, rocking back and forth, or biting your nails will communicate to others that you are nervous and lacking in self-esteem. Be mindful of your body language and be still. If you are nervous pull a legal pad and take notes. Remember, NEVER LET THEM SEE YOU SWEAT. EVER.
7. Choose the right seat: When attending a meeting, choose to sit at the table and not on the sides, even better, sit at the head or near it. People will think you are important (which you are!) and that you have something valuable to offer (which you do!).
These seven helpful tips will help you lead and take command of a room without you having to say a word. Practice and apply them in your everyday life and watch the world become your oyster!
Isabella Boston is a multi-talented writer and the founder of Bella’s Attic Studio. She is well-versed in content writing, copywriting, and social media strategies with a focus on health and wellness, fashion and beauty, and natural healing as it pertains to the body, mind, and the soul. She is also a diarist and the author of Passion of Flames.